I’d like you to review the basic sentence structure (句型結構 /jù xíng jiégòu). However, before you do that, let’s practice the Chinese radicals for the following two Chinese characters:
A: 我 (Wǒ/I;me)＝手 (shǒu/hand)＋戈 (gē/dagger)
1. 我 (Wǒ/I; me)：
2. 手 (shǒu/hand)：
3. 戈 (gē/dagger)：
B: 是 (shì/to be)＝日 (rì/sun)＋正 (zhèng/straight;correct)
1. 是 (shì/to be):
2. 日 (rì/sun):
3. 正 (zhèng/straight;correct):
句型結構 (jùxíng jiégòu/Sentence Structure):
- “Subject + Verb + Object"
1. 我 + 是 + ____ 人。/(I am ____ people.)
2. 例句練習 （lìjù liànxí/sample sentence practice）： Please practice speaking the following sentences with your shoulder partners. When you are done, write the following sentences on the white board that I provided (Listening/Speaking/Reading/Writing).
- 我是中國人 (wǒ shì zhōngguó rén/I am (a) Chinese.)
- 你是美國人 (nǐ shì měiguó rén/You are (an) American.)
- 他是中國人 (tā shì zhōngguó rén/He is (a) Chinese.)
* Your turn: Please make a sentence with the following pattern and practice to your shoulder neighbor.
* ___________ 是 ___________ 人。
(People) 是 (Country) 人
1. When: Due @ 11:59 PM the night before your next class.
2. Where: Your class assignment on Schoology.com.
3. What HW:
- Use the same format above and write two sentences (has to be hand written – 讀/ 寫).
You can take a picture of what you write and submit the image of your HW to your class assignment on Schoology.com, due by the night before your next class （tomorrow） @ 11:59 PM.
- Use any kind of recording tool (audacity, sound cloud, cellphone apps, etc – 說) to record the two sentences. Also post alone with HW #1 on schoology.com, due by the night before your next class （tomorrow） @ 11:59 PM.
- Go to the link below and response to the questions according to the scenarios (聽/説):
Due by the night before your next class （tomorrow） @ 11:59 PM.
Any late work will earn 70% maximum grade; no submission=no grade (0). However, any extra writing packages will earn you extra bonus; the more the better (Bonus = No Due Days).
* NCSSFL-ACTFL Global Can-Do Benchmarks:
|Novice Low||I can communicate on some very familiar topics using single words and phrases that I have practiced and memorized.||I can present information about myself and some other very familiar topics using single words or memorized phrases.||I can copy some familiar words, characters, or phrases.||
I can recognize a few memorized words and phrases when I hear them spoken.
|I can recognize a few letters or characters. I can identify a few memorized words and phrases when I read.|
|Application of this lesson||I can1. Tell someone my nationality
2. Tell what others’ nationalities are
3. Respond to questions regarding nationality.
|I can1. List the countries that I, my families, my friends… live
2. State the nationality of familiar people
3. State my nationality/where I live
|I can1. Copy the characters/radicals I am learning
2. Copy a simple sentence like “我是中國人”, “她是美國人”, etc.
3. Write my nationality
4. Label famous countries
5. Write the names of countries on a map
|I can1. Recognize the sound of a few countries when they are spoken
2. I can occasionally understand few countries that I have memorized, particularly when accompanied by gestures or pictures.
|I can1. Recognize some radicals/characters
2. Recognize some countries on the map
3. Recognize the structure of the characters