Guidelines and Grading
Chinese中文 Guidelines and Grading
- Come to class on time: when the bell rings, you must be in your own seat and be prepared to learn Chinese.
- Prepare to study and learn: You must bring your own three-ring binder, covered textbook and workbook when you come to class.
- Respect one another: Everyone learns at a different pace and in a different way. There is no place in this class for ridicule. Help someone when you see he/she needs some help. If a fellow student causes any trouble for you or interferes with your learning, please bring it to my attention immediately.
- Do your best: In this class you will be learning Chinese. The only way you can learn and master the language is to speak Chinese as much as possible. Do not be afraid of making mistakes. Through mistakes you will learn. You are expected to make an effort to speak Chinese, to do your best, and not to laugh at other students’ efforts or mistakes.
Grading: Grades are based on homework, in-class assignments, quizzes, tests, and projects
- Homework is due at the beginning of the class on the due date. Penalty will be applied to the homework when it is turned in late except in the case of absence. You will lose 25% of the points when it is one day late, 50% of the points when it is within 5 days late.
- All homework and handout should be kept in your three-ring binder. Complete and corrected homework should be kept in your personal folder (with your name on it) in the classroom. I will check the folder for completeness and organization.
- If turning in assignment sheet after the due date you should write clearly at the top “Late 1 Day” (if you turn in only one day late) or “Absent” (if you were absent on the due date).
- If you were absent, it is your responsibility to find out about the missed homework and assignments. They will be posted on the MSP.
In-class assignments are usually finished before the end of a class period. If you do not finish, it is your responsibility to finish the assignment as homework. If you have any trouble finishing it by yourself, ask for my help during lunchtime.
Short quizzes will be given often and cannot be made up. However, the lowest score will be dropped at the end of each grading period. Please see me if excessive absences interfere with more than one quiz.
Tests will be given at the end of each unit. If you miss a test you need to schedule a specific time to make up the test on the first day you come back from your absence.
You are required to stay on task during work time, including group work time. The late project penalty is to lose 10% of the points per day.
Excellent citizenship is not only to complete homework and projects in a timely manner, but also to demonstrate excellent attendance, preparedness, effort of learning, respect towards others and safe behavior in class.
Luh Jang Chen 陸璋