October 30

Appreciating Chinese Opera(一)-B


觀賞國劇Appreciating Chinese Opera
昨天和朋友一起去看了一出國劇。
Yesterday, I went with a friend to see a Chinese opera.
你覺得怎麼樣? 喜歡嗎? What did you think? Did you like it?
我第一次觀賞國劇,根本看不懂。 他們到底在演什麼故事? It was the first time I watching a Chinese opera. I didn’t understand it at all. What kind of story are they playing?
國劇多半是演歷史上忠、孝、節、義的故事。 如果你不知道中國歷史, 你就不容易看懂。 Chinese opera usually dramatizes Chinese historical stories about loyalty, filial piety, fidelity and the righteousness. If you don’t know Chinese history, it’s not easy for you to understand.
不過,我很喜歡國劇的戲服,那些演員穿的戲服,戴著頭飾都漂亮極了。 However, I really like the costumes of Chinese operas. The costumes and headgear of the actors are very beautiful.
即使跑龍套的戲服也都很華麗。 對吧?
Even the performers in minor roles were in colorful costumes. Right?
沒錯! 那些演員可以穿那麼多, 還能翻跟鬥,做舞蹈動作,跑來跑去的真厲害!
That’s right! Those actors can wear that much, do somersaults, do dance moves, and run around! 那些演員可是訓練了很多年才能在舞臺上表演呢 Those actors have been trained for years to perform on stage
不過,鑼鼓喧天的聲音我可受不了,太大聲。 …
However, I couldn’t stand the loud guns and drums. it’s too loud.
可是,觀賞國劇的觀眾就喜歡這種熱鬧的氣氛。
Yet, audiences that appreciate Chinese opera love that kind of lively atmosphere.
對呀! 一邊舞蹈,一邊唱歌演員不會很累嗎?
Yes! Wouldn’t it be tiring for an actor to sing while dancing?
所以要當一個國劇演員就更難了!
So it’s even more difficult to be a Chinese drama actor!
的確,他們太厲害了。Indeed, they are awesome.

Category: Speak Mandarin in 1000 Words | Comments Off on Appreciating Chinese Opera(一)-B
October 30

Appreciating Chinese Opera(一)-A

觀賞國劇Appreciating Chinese Opera

昨天和朋友一起去看了一齣國劇。

Yesterday, I went with a friend to see a Chinese opera.

你覺得怎麼樣? 喜歡嗎?

What did you think?  Did you like it?

我第一次觀賞國劇,根本看不懂。

It was the first time I saw a Chinese opera.  I didn’t understand it at all.

國劇多半是演歷史上忠、孝、節、義的故事。

Chinese opera usually dramatizes Chinese historical stories about loyalty, filial piety, fidelity and the right eousness.

那些演員穿的戲服,戴著頭飾都漂亮極了。

The costume and the head dresses worn by the performers were extremely beautiful

即使跑龍套的戲服也都很華麗。

Even the performers in minor roles were in colorful costumes.

不過,鑼鼓喧天的聲音我可受不了。

However, I couldn’t stand the loud guns and drums.

可是,觀賞國劇的觀眾就喜歡這種熱鬧的氣氛。

Yet, audiences that appreciate Chinese opera love that kind of lively atmosphere.

Category: Speak Mandarin in 1000 Words | Comments Off on Appreciating Chinese Opera(一)-A
October 29

The Great Confucius Memorial Ceremony-B

祭孔大典The Great Confucius Memorial Ceremony
大年,謝謝你約我出來玩。
thank you for inviting me out.
這裡究竟是什麼地方?
Where exactly is this place?
這裡就是有名的孔廟。 我今天特地帶你來參觀一下。
This is the famous Confucian Temple. I specially brought you to visit today.
就是每年祭孔大典舉行的地方嗎?
Is it the place where the Confucius Ceremony is held every year?
沒錯,每年的祭孔大典都在孔子的生日,九月二十八日舉行。
That’s right, the annual sacrifice ceremony for Confucius is held on September 28, Confucius’ birthday.
聽說每年來看祭孔典禮的人非常多?
I heard that there are a lot of people coming to see the Confucian sacrifice ceremony every year?
是的! 因為大家都對中國古代的禮儀很有興趣。
That’s because people are interested in watching ancient Chinese ceremonies
祭典中有音樂也有舞蹈嗎?
Are music and dance performed at the ceremony?
祭孔大典的舞蹈是一種中國古代的八佾舞。
Yes, an ancient Chinese dance called the Ba Yi Dance will be performed
請問,孔子受人尊敬嗎?
Is Confucius highly respected?
是的,孔子的思想對中華文化的影響非常深遠,他被稱為東方的蘇格拉底。
Yes, Confucius thought has had a extremely deep influence on Chinese culture. He has been called the Socrates of the east.
孔子思想最重要的精神是什麼?
What are the most important aspects of Confucian thought?
我想是“忠恕仁爱”的精神。
I would say that would be “loyalty” “forgiveness” benevolence” and love.
Category: Speak Mandarin in 1000 Words | Comments Off on The Great Confucius Memorial Ceremony-B
October 29

The Great Confucius Memorial Ceremony-A

祭孔大典The Great Confucius Memorial Ceremony

祭孔大典來看,祭孔典禮的人還真不少呢。
Many people are coming to see the ceremony to commemorate Confucius birthday
因為大家都對中國古代的禮儀很有興趣。
That’s because people are interested in watching ancient Chinese ceremonies
祭典中有音樂也有舞蹈嗎?
Are music and dance performed at the ceremony?
祭孔大典的舞蹈是一種中國古代的八佾舞。
Yes, an ancient Chinese dance called the Ba Yi Dance will be performed
孔子受人尊敬嗎?
Is Confucius highly respected?
是的,孔子的思想對中華文化的影響非常深遠,他被稱為東方的蘇格拉底。
Yes, Confucius thought has had a extremely deep influence on Chinese culture. He has been called the Socrates of the east.
孔子思想最重要的精神是什麼?
What are the most important aspects of Confucian thought?
我想是“忠恕仁愛”的精神。
I would say that would be “loyalty” “forgiveness” benevolence” and love.

Category: Speak Mandarin in 1000 Words | Comments Off on The Great Confucius Memorial Ceremony-A
October 28

Chinese Classical Music-A

國樂Chinese Classical Music

請您給我們介紹一些中國樂器,好嗎?

Would you please give us an instruction to the Chinese musical instruments?

好的,我先介紹一些國樂裏常用的樂器。 這是古箏,那是琵琶。

OK, let me start with some of the frequently used instruments.  This is a guzheng and that is a pipa.

中國的國樂裏有打擊樂器嗎?

Are there any percussion instruments used in Chinese music?

當然有囉, 舞龍舞獅的時候不是又敲鑼又打鼓的嗎?

Of course.  Congs and drums are always played during the dragon and lion dances.

我看過有人用一根竹管就能吹出很美妙的音樂。

I saw somebody playing a bamboo flute that plays beautifully music.

竹子和簫都是用竹管做成的。 不過笛子是橫吹的, 簫是直吹的。

Horizontal flute and a vertical flute are both bamboo flutes. However horizontal flute is played horizontally, and a vertical flute is played vertically.

笛子和簫吹出來的聲音一樣嗎?

Do horizontal flute and a vertical flute song alike?

我用這兩種樂器各吹一曲,你就知道它們一不一樣了。

Let me play a piece of music for you with both flutes, and you will know how different they are.

 

Category: Speak Mandarin in 1000 Words | Comments Off on Chinese Classical Music-A
October 27

A Concert (II)

聽音樂會 A Concert

王偉:這場音樂會的宣傳海報印得真漂亮。

The poster for this concert is beautifully printed.

芳芳:音樂會內容很精彩,就是不印海報,聽眾也會很多。

The concert is going to be spectacular. Even without the poster, the audience will still be large.

王偉:我買一份節目單,你要不要看一看?

I bought a cup of the program. Would you like to take a look?

芳芳:謝謝,今天演奏的樂曲都是我愛聽的。

Yes! All the pieces that will be played today are my favorites.

王偉:除了古典音樂以外,也喜歡聽熱門音樂嗎?

Besides classical music, do you listen to pop music very often?

芳芳:兩種我都喜歡。

I like them both.

王偉:下次你彈鋼琴,我拉小提琴,我們來合奏一曲。

Let’s perform a duet someday. You can play a piano and I will play my violin.

芳芳:你的水準比我高多了,我得多練習才行。

You play much better than I do.  I do better start practicing more.

 

Category: Speak Mandarin in 1000 Words | Comments Off on A Concert (II)
October 26

A Concert (I)- A

聽音樂會A Concert

王偉:您好,請問芳芳在嗎?Hello is Fang-Fang there?

芳芳:我就是。 請問您是哪位? This is Fang-Fang speaking. May I ask who is calling?

王偉:我是王偉。 明晚一起去聽音樂會好嗎?This is Wang Wei. Are you interested in going to our concert?

芳芳:有哪些曲目呢? What kind of music will there be?

王偉:都是貝多芬和巴哈的作品。 all Beethoven and Bach.

芳芳:是鋼琴獨奏,還是管弦樂團的演奏呢? Is it a piano recital or a performance by an orchestra?

王偉:是紐約愛樂交響樂團的演奏。It’s performed by the New York Philharmonic Symphony orchestra.

芳芳:你真有本事,我排隊排了幾個鐘頭還是沒買到票。

You are really something!  I wasn’t able to get a ticket even after lined up for hours.

王偉:我運氣好。 明天晚上六點音樂廳見。I had good luck. See you tomorrow six p.m. at the concert hall.

芳芳:好,聽完音樂會,我請你喝咖啡。Great!  I will treat you a cup of coffee after the concert.

Category: Speak Mandarin in 1000 Words | Comments Off on A Concert (I)- A
October 25

Learning Painting(三)

學畫畫兒Learning Painting

在練習畫畫嗎?Are you practicing your painting
才上了幾次課, 還在練習執筆呢?I’ve only had a few lessons, I am still practicing how to hold the brush
這個像梅花花瓣的碟子是做什麼的?What is the plum flower petal dish for?
這是調顏色用的, 這個是筆洗, 那個是硯台。That is for mixed color pigments.  That one is for cleaning the brushes. that one is an inkstone.
初學國畫要先練習什麼呢?What do you practice first in traditional Chinese painting?
要學筆法,再臨摹畫冊。We start by learning how to make the strokes correctly.  then we make the copies  from picture albums.
我可以去旁聽你們的課嗎?May I go with you and sit in on you across?
好哇! 你可以來看看老師的教學示範。Sure!  you can come and watch the instructor give this demonstration.

Category: Speak Mandarin in 1000 Words | Comments Off on Learning Painting(三)